No More Cot Prison


Increasingly we are becoming aware that we're living on borrowed time with Finley still sleeping in his baby cot. He's fast approaching the two and a half years old mark now and every noise, every creak we hear from upstairs whilst trying to eat our dinner, we convince ourselves that he's finally done it. He's finally figured out how to throw himself over the side and make a break for freedom. Any second he'll come bumping down the stairs on his 'bum-bum' asking for a biscuit or a drink or a story and that will be it. Game over. No more cot prison. The enjoyment of our evenings will be subject to his free will and our ability (or lack of) to discipline him. Luckily for us its not happened yet, but now I've put that in writing it probably will tonight of course...


We've been talking about this prospect for a few months but not wanting to tempt fate, we've not done much about it. Thankfully we had the foresight to buy a cot bed, so we haven't got to fork out for a whole new bed and mattress for him just yet. But its made me notice that his bedroom is still really quite babyish, very much like a newborn nursery. Most of the toys in his room are baby ones because the bigger ones, like the train sets and all the Happy Land haul are downstairs. So I think the first step is to have a bit of a clear out and either box up and loft them or take them to the charity shop. This will have to be done when he's not around because he completely loses his shit when you take anything of his from its normal place. He probably hasn't played with half of it for six months but it would be a terrible wrong done to him if I tried to deprive him of it.

I have no idea how he'll take the cot to bed transition, it could go surprisingly smoothly like the time we made him go cold turkey to get rid of his dummies. We'd prepared for Armageddon but it all blew over within 24 hours Or it could be absolute hell on earth and result in all three of us throwing a wobbly and crying at the top of the stairs. Watch this space. A friend of mine with older children said it helps to involve them in the creation of their more grown up room. Letting them pick out a new duvet set or some pictures. At the moment Finley is into Disney films and books, Choo Choo's and the Moon. So I think a themed big boy bedroom would be pretty cool. I've started a couple of boards on Pinterest, which you can view and follow below. I searched for Disney bedroom ideas and it was all very varied so I quite liked the idea of having a Mickey Mouse theme. Tesco have a couple of Mickey toddler duvet sets which are very reasonably priced (under £20). An online company called VELUX have a range of Disney blinds, including Mickey Mouse which I really like the designs of. They are black out blinds which is an absolute must in our house, Summer will come eventually and I need to trick my kid into thinking its 'nightime' (when it might only be 6pm). I also quite like the idea of a Space theme, he has some of those glow in the dark stars on his ceiling already and there are some great rocket tents on Etsy.

Whatever theme we choose, it will be a significant change for all of us. All of these little steps take him further and further away from being a baby and closer to the grown up boy he's going to become. I just hope we can take these little steps slowly and with the least amount of hysterical sobbing possible!

Follow Admissions of a 's board A Big Boy Bedroom - Mickey Mouse on Pinterest.
Follow Admissions of a 's board A Big Boy Bedroom - Space on Pinterest.

This post contains a sponsored link from VELUX. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.
image source

8 comments:

  1. There are some great ideas oout there for boys bedrooms. I love the plastic transfer stickers you can get nowadays that you can stick to the walls without ruining the piant. We have used these to decorate the nursery for our baby girl. Good luck with the cot to bed transition! xx
    #picknmix

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we had some of those at our old house! I'm gonna have a look around and see what designs would work, thanks x

      Delete
  2. You have some great ideas! I remember with youngest I was dreading the day when she had to go into her toddler bed as I knew that she was no longer my baby then, but I still call her my baby! #fabfridaypost

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it will definitely be weird and a bit sad!

      Delete
  3. Oh wow you are so lucky he's not escaping yet, my eldest climbed out at about 18 months the little monkey so he had to go in a bed instead .... and get out and in 50 times a night for several nights...This was when I was 8 months pregnant arghh ha.
    Thanks for linking up to #Picknmix
    Stevie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah we know, he's big as well so he's very physically capable of getting out - he just doesn't yet (touch wood)!

      Delete
  4. Wow how has he not climbed out? My eldest figured it out pretty early and so did Finlay. Good luck moving him. Neither of mine stayed in their beds although I had friends who's kids did. Thanks for linking to #PickNMix x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'm starting to get the feeling we are pretty lucky on this front!

      Delete

Hello! Please comment and share